This page is...I've decided, where I get to spew and share my opinion.
I'll change it as often as my schedule allows and sometimes maybe, even sooner
depending on how I am feeling about "stuff".
I'll tell you now that it will rarely be about music or playing the
violin except for the
times when it is.
I invite you to spew and share as well. For an archive of my previous opinions, click here. Email email@example.com
HOW WE DOIN SO FAR??
Well, it's been a year since the messiah was sworn in as our savior.
I guess that's the problem right there. My choice of words.
Hey, don't blame me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I was told and I believed it.
Folks....never, NEVER... underestimate publicity.
So, how we doin'? What's changed in a year?
I'm paying more taxes, still paying outrageous amounts for my health coverage (single coverage, not part of a group plan -- ah, the disadvantages of being a soloist), still takes me an hour to get through security fumbling with my shoes and computer and belts and sweaters and jewelry and cavity fillings. (Yes, cavity fillings. I have old fashioned cavity fillings. I'm old.)
Let's see, what else.
Oh yeah, my property taxes went up and so did my maintenance fee for my co-op.
Lots of cool stores that I used to enjoy went bye bye. As well as some wonderful restaurants and institutions that used to be enjoyed by millions of people. They went bye bye, too. The Arts scene here: well, if donations are way down for orchestras like the Chicago Symphony and the Cleveland Orchestra, I guess I can't expect my band, the New Century Chamber Orchestra, to be doing any better.
Oh, and the state synonymous with the Democratic Party went Republican.
Whaddaya think? D minus? D?
No. It's not that bad!! Lots of good things happened too!!!
The Yankees won, and my mom finally got rid of that squirrel problem in her attic.
The thing is, I have decided to remain optimistic, and I have no idea why.
Apparently we're in for another financial crash -- the band-aids used to repair the other one are falling off now I guess. And... there's always that next terrorist attack!!! Imminent, they say.
Global warming? Fillibusters? Gay marriage? Health Care? Who can keep up???
I will remain optimistic 'cause that's the kind of gal I am.
And this is how I'm going to do it:
- Not reading the newspaper anymore. Just going to pull out the crossword puzzle and avoid eye contact with any headlines.
- Not going to care anymore about things and events that do not directly affect me -- at least so far. If Ahmadinejad wants to build nuclear warheads in his tunnels, let him.
- From now on, I will vote for the politician who will better my life. Not my neighbor's life, or my neighbor's children's life. Just my life. Lower my taxes? Ya got my vote. I really don't care what you do in China. China is far away.
- I will not publicly defend my country anymore. I love my country a lot, but saying America is the greatest country in the world seems pretty silly these days. I'll say America is the 17th greatest country in the world. That seems fair at least.
- I hereby swear never to engage in any way, shape, or form in a conversation with anyone about religion or politics. If I hear one starting, I'll put my fingers in my ears and say "la la la" really loudly over and over.
- I am formally changing my mind about TV programs. They're not mindless and insulting and frustrating; they're brilliant and inovative and thought provoking. Reality TV is a wonderful, wonderful invention that will only benefit society in ways we cannot even imagine. Much like fire.
- I am replacing all of my current mirrors with funhouse mirrors. The ones that make you look skinny and tall. That way, each time I pass one, I can honestly say, "Nadja...you are hot...you are so hot, dammit!"
- I will be happy and thrilled each time a new gizmo is introduced to replace my old gizmo that took me 2 years to learn how to use. After all, I don't want my brain to get soft. This is just the high tech company's way of insuring that the good citizens of this country keep their brains alert. Why should you be comfortable making a call on your cell when they can provide you with new and exciting challenges daily?
- From this day forth, I will embrace the concept of solving all your problems using the automated phone system: the voiceless voice that asks you questions not pertaining to your problem and then you have to decide which number to press even though your option was not available. Who wants to speak with a real human being and have to explain one's situation? Who needs to actually talk??? Why talk? This is by far a better method. If your option isn't available, just press any number, and see what happens next. It's like a free game!!!
- And finally... I am pleased to report that I will from now on... not help my mother with her computer problems. I do not wish to hear the words "what's an icon" anymore. I give up. If she asks me a computer related question, I will follow the steps in number 5.
Well, that's it. I really believe that if I follow these 10 easy steps, my life will improve dramatically. I will not stress as much, I will not worry as much, I will not frown as much.
In fact I am going to smile more. I am going to smile all the time now -- while repeating the words "tra la la" and bobbing my head from left to right. And I'm also going to skip everywhere.
Now I ask you, how can any human being that smiles and bobs their head and says "tra la la" and skips everywhere be anything but completely happy?
What the hell do I know,
©2014-2001 Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg